The Underwire awards are given in recognition of the teamwork and skill necessary to produce a quality film, and aims to acknowledge the artistry and vision required in the key production roles.
These awards are open to films with women working in the specific category, and we accept a mix of genres: drama, animation, documentary, music video and artist film.
- Best Director (supported by Directors UK) – the winner receives one year’s membership to Directors UK, the winner of this award is also offered a mentoring lunch with an experienced Directors UK member
- Best Producer (supported by Women in Film and TV UK) – the winner receives a mentoring lunch with a top industry producer, plus annual membership to WFTV (UK)
- Best Writer (supported by Euroscript) – the winner receives access to all of Euroscript’s training courses for one year, equivalent value of £1,000
- Best Editor (supported by Molinaire Hoxton) – the winner receivesa a half day HD Grade and use of the Molinaire screening room in Soho for their film.
- Best Cinematographer (supported by Greenkit) – the winner receives £2,000 worth of energy efficient lights to use on their next project
- Best Composer (supported by The MU) – the winner receives MU membership (worth £201) for a year, a bespoke careers advice session at MU HQ and a visit to Abbey Road Studios
- Best Sound Designer (supported by Sound Disposition) – the winner receives a day of studio time
- Best Production Designer (supported by Farley Prop Hire) – the winner receives £1,000 worth of prop hires for their next project.
- Best Actor (supported by Spotlight) – the winner receives one year’s Premium Membership to Spotlight and a meeting with a casting director.
- Under 25: for outstanding work by a female practitioner aged 15-25 (supported by BFI Future Film) – the winner receives two weekend delegate passes for the BFI Future Film Festival in February 2016
- XX Award: for the best onscreen female protagonist (supported by BFI NET.WORK). The winning film will be featured as a Postroom Pick and will have a career development meeting with a member of the BFI NET.WORK team.
- Lens Flair Prize: in recognition of the importance that women are given access to the means of production (supported by Feral Equipment) – the Under 25 winner receives a 50% equipment hire discount, and the winners of the Best Director, Best Producer and XX Award each receive a 30% discount on equipment hire
To find out more about each partner check out the Award Sponsors page.